Particle acceleration in tangential discontinuities by lower hybrid waves
- 1Code 930, NASA/GSFC, Greenbelt, MD 20771, UK
- 2Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Chilton, Oxon, OX11 0QX, UK
- 3Dept. Physics and Applied Physics, University of Strathclyde, 104 RottonRow, Glasgow, G4 0NG, UK
- 4Beam Physics Branch, U.S. Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC 20735, USA
- 5Dept. Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92091, USA
Abstract. We consider the role that the lower-hybrid wave turbulence plays in providing the necessary resistivity at collisionless reconnection sights. The mechanism for generating the waves is considered to be the lower-hybrid drift instability. We find that the level of the wave amplitude is sufficient enough to heat and accelerate both electrons and ions.